A Trip Around Sicily With Nine Mad Artists
A journey to discover outsider art, gastronomy and other marvels
An itinerary in Sicily through the places of the outsider artists. Among their works. In their towns. Tracing a route around the island. Experiencing sights, sounds and tastes outside the traditional circuits
Bentivegna carved thousands of heads near Selinunte. Cammarata spent fifty years embellishing his shack/house with Gaudì type sculptures. Gambino made drawings with his biro on the paper he used to wrap the roasted pumpkin seeds he sold from his stall. The work only finished when the ink ran out.
Appreciated abroad, derided and unacknowledged at home. Many of their works have been destroyed. Nine Sicilians united by their illiteracy and obsessive urge to express themselves.
An itinerary through the places of the Sicilian outsider artists. Among their works. In their towns. Tracing a route around the island. Experiencing sights, sounds and tastes outside the traditional circuits.
- By Redazione terrelibere.org
- Pages: 68
- Publisher: terrelibere.org
- Available versions: ePub | Pdf | mobi (kindle) | carta
- Collection: cinquesensi
- Year: 2014
- Introduction. Compulsive, Uneducated, Inspired
- Palermo / Gaetano Gambino
- Gibellina / Salvatore Bonura
- Favignana / Rosario Santamaria
- Marsala – Giovanni Abrignani
- Sciacca – Filippo Bentivegna
- Comiso – Francesco Giombarresi
- Caltagirone – Francesco Cusumano
- Messina – Giovanni Cammarata
- What to listen to
- Gastronomic index
Buy also on…